Health Affiliates Maine understands that everyone struggles with mental health or substance use issues at some point in their lives. Our mission is to increase access to mental health services by normalizing this reality. We all need help sometimes, and HAM is here to provide guidance, resources, and support as you begin your journey to wellness.
HAM offers outpatient counseling services throughout Maine in private, confidential offices. Our providers are licensed, highly skilled professionals who work with youth, adults, and families. We will help you find the right care team and the right treatment plan to build resilience and take control of your health and well-being.
Therapy ServicesOutpatient counseling throughout Maine
Health Affiliates Maine is deeply committed to ending the stigma that surrounds mental health treatment and to improving Mainers’ access to counseling services.
All of us struggle at some point in our lives with mental health or substance use issues. Everyone needs help now and then.
- Outpatient counseling throughout Maine
- Substance use disorder counseling
- Co-occurring disorder treatment (mental health and substance use)
- IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program)
Who are our Therapists?
Located statewide in private practice offices, our therapists are all licensed (LCSW, LCPC, LMFT, LADC), highly skilled in the use of evidence-based treatments, and work with children and adults of all ages.
Who do we Serve?
Our outpatient therapy services are for children, adolescents, families, couples, and groups. We work with people who struggle with depression, anxiety, addiction, bipolar disorder, trauma, grief and loss, parenting, divorce, school related issues and more.
Why Choose Health Affiliates Maine?
- Most major insurances and self-pay accepted
- The choice is yours–no decisions are made for you
- Help finding the right mental health professional
- Increased access–reduced barriers to treatment through services offered in offices, your home, community, school, and/or through confidential online therapy.
- Empowerment–build resilience, take control
Telehealth Intensive Outpatient Program
The Health Affiliates Maine Intensive Outpatient Program is an accessible treatment option available for those struggling with substance use disorder. Offered in a virtual format, our telehealth IOP is available for clients throughout the state of Maine. IOPs are ideal for those who are transitioning from detox, residential rehabilitation, or who need a more intensive level of support to gain recovery skills and prevent relapse.
Facilitated by licensed Health Affiliates Maine counselor Katie Dickson, LADC, LCPC-C CCS, the program treats drug and alcohol addictions and welcomes referrals, self-referrals and rolling admissions. Once a referral is made, the client will be directly contacted to schedule an appointment to begin the program.
Seeking treatment with the Health Affiliates Maine Telehealth Intensive Outpatient Program for substance use disorder means:
- Statewide, virtual treatment via Zoom
- Evidence-based treatment from a licensed counselor
- Supported by MaineCare and other insurances
- Medication-assisted treatment if needed
- Learn recovery skills, family education and relapse prevention
Make a Referral
Health Affiliates Maine IOP accepts referrals and self-referrals by phone, email or online.
Psychiatric Assessment & Treatment
If you struggle with mood or anxiety disorders, ADHD, schizophrenia, or other behavioral and emotional issues, you don’t have to go through it alone. At Health Affiliates Maine, our experienced psychiatric providers will work with you and your primary care physician, therapists, and case managers to ensure safe, effective, collaborative care that helps and supports you on your journey toward wellness.
HAM Psychiatric Providers Will:
- Provide a comprehensive psychiatric diagnostic assessment and treatment plan
- Work with your primary care providers, therapist, and/or case manager to ensure safe and collaborative care
- Monitor and manage your psychiatric medications
Working with a HAM Psychiatric Provider, You Can Expect:
- A diagnosis and education about your diagnosis as well as treatment options
- Prescribed psychotropic medications as appropriate
- Continued monitoring and support
- Medication assisted treatment for opiate use disorders, as needed
- Recommendations for evidence-based treatments beyond prescriptions
- Collaboration to improve your overall health and wellness
Substance Use Disorder Counseling
Our clinicians have the expertise and collaborative resources to help individuals and families affected by substance addiction. Our approach to this devastating disease is compassionate and thorough. We empower our clients to make healthy choices and build resilience through a broad network of support.
Individual Substance Use Disorder Counseling
Designed for individuals seeking help with substance use issues and with co-occurring substance use and mental health problems.
Substance Abuse Evaluations
As required by the courts, probation, and DHHS, these evaluations are conducted by licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors.
Affected Other Counseling
Offered to family members, friends, and loved ones of a substance user–those affected by someone else’s use and abuse.
Services for Active Service Members, Veterans, and Families
At Health Affiliates Maine, our specially-trained clinicians are proud to work with active and retired service members, veterans, Reservists and Guard members, and their families. We provide evidence-based services that support the unique challenges of military life, including readiness for battle and assimilation into the “new normal.”
The term recovery has often been related only to “addiction.” But we know that trauma affects everyone in different ways; and trauma has its own recovery. HAM’s treatment services focus on helping service members through recovery so that they can feel part of their communities once again.
Working with You Toward Well-being
Health Affiliates Maine is committed to helping the men and women of the armed forces manage:
- Post-traumatic stress
- Impactful events
- Relationship challenges
- Substance use disorder
- Anger, grief, and loss
- Depression and anxiety
- Other mental health concerns
Everyone needs help now and then. We are here to support you.
Clinicians with Specialized Training
HAM counselors have an understanding of military culture, knowledge of Maine’s military history, and speak frequently with members of the Maine National Guard (Army and Air). Based on proven best practices, we have carefully tailored our mental health and substance use disorder services to encourage successful outcomes for military members and their families.
Above all, our skilled professionals respect and value a soldier’s strength and resilience.
“Having served for many years, I understand that there is an enormous burden put on our service members and their families. Many times this leaves people with emotional scars you cannot see. Having the resources, which HAM provides our veterans, can help people heal and enrich their lives.” – Jeffrey Lagueux, Sergeant First Class, US Army (ret.)
Our highly trained case managers utilize strong ties to their communities and extensive knowledge of local resources to provide quality care and guidance.
Services for Adults
Our case managers provide guidance to adults struggling with a mental health diagnosis by helping them access the resources and supports needed to enhance well-being.
Support Opportunities Include:
- Housing, food, and clothing
- Medical care and counseling
- Educational support, employment, and skills training
- Community support and resources
- Support groups
- Financial and legal assistance
How to Qualify for Services:
- You must have full MaineCare eligibility.*
- You must meet specific diagnostic criteria, be a class member, or have a diagnosis that contributes to the risk for homelessness, psychiatric hospitalization, residential treatment, or criminal justice involvement.
* A limited amount of grant funds are available for adults without MaineCare and for veterans/active military members.
Services for Children
Health Affiliates Maine’s case management services are designed to help Maine’s children build resilience and improve quality of life. We will help you find the right support opportunities for your child. Our case managers are highly trained to remove barriers standing between children and their ability to thrive. We utilize strong community ties and extensive knowledge of local resources to provide guidance to parents and families.
Is this Service Right for my Child?
Health Affiliates Maine Case Management Services are available to:
- Children eligible for MaineCare
- Children who experience challenges in school, community, or home due to:
- A mental or behavioral health diagnosis
- A developmental of intellectual diagnosis
- A chronic, severe medical condition
Our Referral Care Team will help you determine if your child qualifies.